Visualizing History Virtual Exhibit

Qualicum Beach Map

This map below is a visualization of Qualicum Beach’s historical buildings and other points of interest. Click on any marker to learn more about its history, and scroll down in the left-hand panel to find pictures of the location. 

Photos courtesy of the Qualicum Beach Museum Archives and Rusty J. Joerin of Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.

Legend:
A – Crump Hotel
B – Qualicum Beach Hotel
C – Sunset Inn / George Inn
D – Morgan Hotel / Qualicum Arms Hotel
E – Shady Rest
F – The Log Cabin / Log Cabin Inn
G – Grandview Camp and Cottages
H – Bayview Park
I – Ben Bow Inn
J – The Captain’s Inn

K – The Snow White Motel and Cottages
L – The Buena Vista
M – Old Dutch Inn / Shoreline Motor Inn
N – The Crescent Motel
O – Qualicum College Inn
P – St. Mark’s Anglican Church
Q – St. Stephen’s United Church
R – 2nd at Memorial
S – Beach at West Crescent
T – Community Hall
U – East Crescent at Highway 19A

V – Judge’s Row
W – Memorial Overlook
X – The Qualicum Merchant
Y – The Qualicum Beach Powerhouse
Z – Thrall-Leigh House
a – The Old School House (TOSH)
b – Rosemuir / Valhalla
c – Village Theatre
d – Crown Mansion
e – The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 76
f – St. Andrew’s Lodge

Qualicum Beach: Then & Now

The following photo comparisons allow you to see how locations in historical photographs look today.
Drag the slider across each picture to compare locations in different times.

Crump Hotel

The Crump Hotel was built in Dashwood and opened in 1910. The building stopped operating as a hotel sometime in the 1980s.

Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.

Qualicum Beach Hotel

The Links, then and now. The first photo was taken sometime in the 1930s, and the second was taken in 2016.

The Qualicum Beach Hotel opened in 1913. The golf course was created at the same time, while an outdoor swimming pool and tennis courts were later additions. This well known resort operated for 52 years and, until 1939, was managed by General Noel Money. The hotel went through a brief reincarnation as a convalescent home for veterans after WW1. The resort was dismantled in 1969 to make room for houses.

Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.

Sunset Inn / George Inn

Sunset Inn, then and now. The first photo was taken in 1939, and the second was taken in 2016.

The Sunset Inn was built in 1920 by Alec Fraser, for Mr. and Mrs. McLeod. By 1922 or 23 they were bankrupt and Colonel Alan Playfair, who had come to Qualicum to retire, took over ownership. Colonel Playfair and his wife later moved to Victoria in 1951. After changing hands several times, in 1967 a group from Courtenay bought the Inn and remodelled and expanded to give it a more ‘British’ image, and changed the name to The George Inn. The next owners renamed it the Qualicum Resort Hotel and then in 2010 it was torn down.

Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.

St. Andrews Lodge

Designed in 1938 by Sam Little and run for many years by his daughter Elizabeth Little, St Andrews Lodge is made up of several small cottages that surround the lodge itself. The last one was built in 1952.

Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.

Qualicum Arms/Morgan Hotel

The second photo was taken sometime in the 1970s, and the third was taken in 2016.

Built in 1923 by Garth Morgan, who came to Qualicum about 1915 and was the Quartermaster for the Military Convalescent Hospital until 1919, when it reverted to the Qualicum Beach Hotel. In the early 1950’s, the hotel was sold and became the Qualicum Arms Hotel. It continued to operate as a hotel until 1979 when it was sold to John Lecky, a grandson of H.R. MacMillan, who converted it into a private home. 

Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.

The Shady Rest

The first photo was taken in 1936, and the second was taken in 2016.

In 1924, Thomas Kinkade and his wife built the Shady Rest. Today it is only a restaurant and pub, but it had accommodation and cottages for many years.

Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.

The Village Theatre

Built in 1948, the Village Theatre is a very good and rare local example of the Streamline Moderne style. The Village Theatre is also significant for its association with architect Swinburne A. Kayll, best known for the Pump and Transformer Houses at the Esquimalt Graving Dock and the Salvation Army Grandview Citadel in Vancouver. In 1974, this building ceased to be the Qualicum Movie Theatre and became the Village Theatre.

Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.

St. Mark’s Anglican Church

General Money donated the land for a new church in 1926. With the help of volunteers, the land was cleared and the church was built in 16 weeks. It was opened on St. Barnabus Day by Bishop D. Schofield, and named St. Mark’s. At a later date, General Money donated the hedge around the property. In 1931, when there was a vacancy in the pulpit, Colenel Playfair (owner of the Sunset Inn) filled in until a new minister was appointed.

Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.

Community Hall

This building, constructed in 1933 at the corner of Memorial Avenue and Veterans Way, is a highly visible landmark in Qualicum Beach.

Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.