Sunset Inn / George Inn
Sunset Inn, then and now. The first photo was taken in 1939, and the second was taken in 2016.
The Sunset Inn was built in 1920 by Alec Fraser, for Mr. and Mrs. McLeod. By 1922 or 23 they were bankrupt and Colonel Alan Playfair, who had come to Qualicum to retire, took over ownership. Colonel Playfair and his wife later moved to Victoria in 1951. After changing hands several times, in 1967 a group from Courtenay bought the Inn and remodelled and expanded to give it a more ‘British’ image, and changed the name to The George Inn. The next owners renamed it the Qualicum Resort Hotel and then in 2010 it was torn down.
Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography.
View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.