The first photo was taken in 1936, and the second was taken in 2016.
In 1924, Thomas Kinkade and his wife built the Shady Rest. Today it is only a restaurant and pub, but it had accommodation and cottages for many years.
Photo credits: The Qualicum Beach Museum Archives, and Rusty J. Joerin, Woodsgift Photography. View more of his work at woodsgift.zenfolio.com.